Go from Clusters to Grid in Minutes with Intelligent HPC Workload Management
Moab® HPC Suite – Grid Option is a powerful grid-workload management solution that provides unified scheduling, intelligent policy management, integrated resource management, and consolidated monitoring and management across multiple clusters. Moab HPC Suite – Grid Option utilizes the patented Moab intelligence engine to accelerate, automate and unify all of the complex workload decisions and automation needed to optimize the workload and resource components of advanced high performance computing grids. Moab HPC Suite – Grid Option connects disparate clusters into a logical whole in a matter of minutes, extending the value of the Moab HPC Suite Basic and Enterprise Editions. It enables grid administrators and grid policies to have sovereignty over all high performance computing systems while preserving control at the individual cluster.
Moab HPC Suite – Grid Option has a powerful range of capabilities that allow organizations to consolidate reporting, synchronize management across policies processes and resources, and optimize workload-sharing and data management across multiple high performance computing clusters. Moab HPC Suite – Grid Option delivers these services in a near-transparent way so users are unaware they are using grid resources—they know only that they are getting work done faster and more easily than ever before.
Solutions to Multi-Cluster Utilization and Management Challenges
Moab HPC Suite – Grid Option addresses key challenges of managing and optimizing multiple clusters and moving to a more efficient and productive grid environment such as:
- Multi-cluster sprawl increases administrative burden, overhead costs and inefficiency as workload and policy management, monitoring, reporting and planning must be done separately
- Unbalanced resource utilization slows job throughput and wastes resources workload waits to run on overloaded clusters and underutilized resources sit idle on other clusters
- Can’t share workloads due to different workload requirements, policies and SLAs across independent group- and organization-based clusters that make unified workload decisions complex and hard to enforce consistently across multiple clusters
- Need to manage across the multiple resource managers across multiple clusters to schedule and allocating resources more effectively; can’t rip and replace for grid management due to process and script investments
- Need to integrate job submission for users across multiple credential and submission tools for multiple clusters to keep users productive using what they know while accelerating job processing and efficiency
Moab HPC Suite – Grid Option creates an optimized high performance computing grid environment with key benefits that accelerate workload productivity and reduce management complexity including:
- Fast time to value for grid implementation with unified management across heterogeneous clusters that enables you to move quickly from cluster to optimized grid
- Improved job response times and job throughput with a policy-driven decisions and automation that accelerates complex workload scheduling to enable faster job start times and high throughput computing
- Optimized throughput and utilization across grid and clusters of 90-99% with flexible multi-dimensional intelligence engine that optimizes workload scheduling and resource utilization at both grid and cluster level
- Reduced management burden and costs with grid-wide interface and reporting tools that provide a unified view of grid resources, status and usage charts, and trends over time for capacity planning, diagnostics, and accounting
- Scalable architecture to reliably support heterogeneous grids, high throughput computing, peta-scale and beyond
- Auto enforcement of grid and local cluster level service guarantees, priorities, and resource sharing agreements across users, groups, and projects sharing grid resources
- Advanced administrative control allows various business units to access and view grid resources, regardless of physical or organizational boundaries, or alternatively restricts access to resources by specific departments or entities
- Increased productivity by simplifying use, access, and control of broader set of HPC resources for both users and administrators with integrated job submission, grid-aware job arrays, job templates, optional user portal, and GUI administrator management and monitoring tool
Moab HPC Suite – Grid Option provides the automated decision control and management flexibility real-world grid environments require. The Moab multi-dimensional intelligence engine accelerates workload output while balancing the complexities of grid, local cluster, and organizational workload priorities or policies. It can be flexibly configured to unify workload management policies into centralized management, provide centralized and local management policies, or integrate between local peer-to-peer cluster management policies. This ensures that service level guarantees and overall organizational objectives are achieved while utilization and results output across the unified grid environment is dramatically increased.
Managing the World’s Top Systems, Ready to Manage Yours
Moab manages the largest, most scale-intensive and complex high performance computing environments in the world. This includes many of the Top500, leading commercial, and innovative research HPC systems. Adaptive Computing is the largest supplier of HPC workload management software. Adaptive’s Moab HPC Suite and TORQUE rank #1 and #2 as the most used scheduling/workload management software at HPC sites and Adaptive is the #1 vendor used across unique HPC sites. [1,2]  According to the IDC HPC End-user Study of System Software and Middleware in Technical Computing, 2013 According to the 2012 HPC Site Census Survey: Middleware, December 2012, by Intersect360 Research