Moab 6.0 and Moab Viewpoint 2.0 Enhance Command Communications Architecture and Management Features to Meet the Demands of Extreme-Scale HPC Installations and Grids
SC|10, New Orleans, Louisiana—November 15, 2010—Adaptive Computing, the company behind the Moab® unified automation intelligence technology, today announced two significant product upgrades that address the increasing complexity and size of next-generation HPC systems. Moab 6.0 and Moab Viewpoint™ 2.0 improve and simplify the command communications and reporting processes that have traditionally restricted the usability of HPC systems scaling beyond a few thousand nodes. The upgrades ensure that Adaptive Computing will maintain its leadership position managing the world’s most advanced supercomputing systems as ranked by the bi-annual Top500 list. Moab 6.0 and Moab Viewpoint 2.0 will be available in December 2010.
As today’s HPC systems grow significantly in node and core count, together with the increasing adoption of hybrid systems deploying specialized technologies such as GPGPUs, managing and optimizing workloads becomes exponentially more complex. The latest versions of Adaptive Computing’s Moab technology improve the speed and availability of state and command communication management by 100-fold, effectively streamlining the way in which administrators and users manage and interface with next-generation systems.
Adaptive Computing’s solutions, powered by Moab, deliver intelligent governance that allows customers to optimally consolidate and virtualize resources, allocate and manage applications, improve service levels, and reduce operational costs. Since Adaptive Computing’s founding in 2001 (as Cluster Resources Inc.), the company’s Moab products have managed the world’s largest computing installations and are the preferred intelligent automation solutions for the leading global HPC and data center vendors.
The Moab communications architectural redesign makes extensive use of multi-threading and a database of real-time job and node status information to address the management needs of extreme-scale HPC installations and grids. Other product enhancements to Moab 6.0 include:
- A new command communication architecture that delivers a 100-fold increase in internal communications throughput;
- Support for the most commonly used Moab commands and grids deploying multiple Moab instances, dramatically increasing the manageability of complex supercomputing environments;
- Support for hybrid installations deploying GPGPU technologies in conjunction with TORQUE 2.5.4;
- New on-demand dynamic provisioning and management capabilities that support both virtual and physical resources, including VM migration for load balancing, workload packing and consolidation;
- Idle-resource management to deliver increased utilization, efficiency and energy conservation for HPC and enterprise cloud deployments; and
- Improved administration and reporting, including new parameterized administration functions; enhanced limits for event, group and account management; and new formats for job and reservation event reporting.
Moab Viewpoint 2.0
Moab Viewpoint 2.0 includes new functionality to support HPC as a service and enterprise cloud capability. New features include:
- Physical and virtual node management for extreme-scale environments;
- Creation, management and status reporting of reservations and job queues for HPC and batch workloads and system maintenance;
- On-demand dynamic management of VMs and physical nodes for HPC and scalable enterprise cloud;
- Increased scalability to support management of tens of thousands of nodes and hundreds of thousands of VMs;
- Flexible security management for flexible security options at installation, including built-in security, Single Sign On (SSO), or Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) models; and
- Service-based administration and reporting for easy access and management of HPC and cloud resources.
“With every TOP500 list the leading systems set new records for scale and complexity that dramatically increase the challenge of managing resources efficiently and maintaining user satisfaction,” says Michael Jackson, president of Adaptive Computing. “With Moab 6.0 and Moab Viewpoint 2.0, we are setting new manageability and ease-of-use standards that will maintain the highest levels of efficiency and usability of next-generation HPC systems with tens of thousands of nodes and hundreds of thousands of cores.”
About Adaptive Computing
Adaptive Computing provides intelligent automation software for HPC, data center and cloud environments. The company’s infrastructure intelligence solutions, powered by Moab®, deliver policy-based governance, allowing customers to consolidate and virtualize resources, allocate and manage applications, optimize service levels and reduce operational costs. Adaptive Computing products manage the world’s largest computing installations and are the preferred intelligent automation solutions for the leading global HPC and data center vendors. For more information, call Adaptive Computing at (801) 717-3700 or visit adaptive.wpengine.com.
# # #